Day 48: Lander, WY to the base of Togwotee Pass, WY (90ish miles?)

We woke up to no wind and started plugging along our way towards Jackson. We started chugging the 3000 miles toward vertical feet up over the next 90 miles. We biked through the Wind River reservation and saw some folks in Fort Washakie as we stopped for a quick snack. We kept rolling onto Crowheart, where we found a few things:

1) We stopped a convenience store where you were allowed to not only buy sundries and general store-type things, but also guns. Rifles, or even Dirty Harry's handgun. I asked them if I could buy a handgun, and they told me I couldn't since I wasn't a resident. But, if I was a resident, I could walk out with a gun that day. So, remember, Wyoming is not the state to do things that increase your proclivity to being shot in a crime of passion.

2) We bumped into a touring group of older dudes that had been touring the TransAm slowly over the course of a few years. This year it was the colorado to Wyoming sections. They didn't like Jeffrey City or the people and thought that the town was a dump.

Dear Older Biking Dudes: You're assholes. Those folks were nothing but nice to you and just because the town is a old boomtown you have to trash talk it? Who the hell are you? It wasn't worth me "harshing my mell" to tell you this at a gas station because I knew that you probably wouldn't have cared and that we were going to pass you and never see you ever again. You're the reason why cross country cyclists look bad sometimes. Not every place along the route is the Four Seasons and not every place in America is going to have turn down service for your hotel room. America is comprised of a wide variety of people and places and some people probably aren't as lucky as you. If you didn't want to bike there, I'm sure there are perfectly other quaint routes you could have ridden on. Don't make the rest of us look bad as cyclists, or at least don't wear lycra or dayglo so that people don't develop pavlovian-conditioned disgust to the sight of us. Thanks, Mark.

We kept rolling onto DuBois, where we sat down and had a tasty dinner at the Riverside cafe. Tacos were 2 dollars and I had the best piece of pineapple upside cake I've ever had in my life. They also had this great sign:

Trixie does what it wants!

On our ride towards the campground, it started raining. Luckily, Mary at the campground had towels ready for us and the showers were super warm and nice feeling. We packed in and prepared for the next day climbing over Togwotee and over into Jackson.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 12: Breaks, VA to Hindman, KY (67 miles)

Day 40: Dillon to Hot Sulphur Springs (61 miles)

Day 5 - Mineral, VA to White Hall, VA (71 miles)