Day 41: Hot Sulphur Springs, CO to Walden, CO (62 miles)

Last night was cold.... it dropped below freezing during the night with no cross wind at all. Meaning that I bundled up into my sleeping bag like a cocoon to stay warm (worked), but woke up with condensation all over the inside of my tent. My single-walled North Face tent looks awesome and is super-lite, but if there's no wind and there's humidity and it's cold outside, the inside gets super damp. We finally woke up when the sun came up and it took me 5 minutes to get out of the ball I had rolled myself into in my sleeping bag. We woke up, ate at the "Glory Hole" diner, and began riding up the mountain to the continental divide. We didn't see any moose, but there were girls cycling, which are almost as unusual to see in the middle of nowhere. The climb today was easier, as I feel like I finally have adjusted to the elevation. We zoomed up to the top of Willow Creek Pass at 9683 feet and crossed the continental divide again. From there, we dropped back down the mountain and into the town of Rand, which had a convenience store without running water, but they did have snacks and cold beverages. We fought the wind and a rough road another 22 miles into Walden. The road had a hard crack about every 30 yards. 1760 yards in a mile, 22 miles, means there was about 1291 bumps that shook the body and brain a little. But, we finally made it down to Walden, where we are able to stay in the park. A bit of library blogging, MB chatting and small town dining to complete the night where we'll sleep again in the town park. 22 miles from the state line and Wyoming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 12: Breaks, VA to Hindman, KY (67 miles)

Day 40: Dillon to Hot Sulphur Springs (61 miles)

Day 5 - Mineral, VA to White Hall, VA (71 miles)