Day 26: Ash Grove, MO to Pittsburg, KS (70 miles)

As the day started we caught a bit of rain heading out for our last little climbs out of Missouri. We got in from the rain at an awesome diner called "Cooky's Cafe", known across the TransAm for its amazing pies. I debated the merits of just ordering 7 different types of pies, but decided on a balanced lunch and got a sandwich and 2 slices of pie. Peach and Blueberry; I think I liked the blueberry a bit better.

We rolled into Pittsburg, and I took an ironic picture since it's not really the real Pittsburg(h).

Totally ironic?


We went to the park to check in, then went to the YMCA to take some showers. At the YMCA, I had this exchange with a teenage girl:

Girl: Why are you on your trip?

Mark: You know, to meet people, adventure, that kind of stuff.

Girl: You're going to need to break that down for me, I'm not even in High School yet.

Mark: Well, I guess then it's just cool to see America then.

Girl: Where did you bike from?

Mark: Virginia.

Girl: Holy fuck!

And so, was the exchange with the little vulgar, youth of Pittsburg. We headed out to grab dinner and then had some beers and chatted with some folks about our journey. When we got back to camp, I decided not to set up my tent and slept on the picnic table instead. No bugs, cool weather? Totally sublime.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 12: Breaks, VA to Hindman, KY (67 miles)

Day 40: Dillon to Hot Sulphur Springs (61 miles)

Day 5 - Mineral, VA to White Hall, VA (71 miles)